Sunday, December 06, 2009

A Totally Radical 80s Party

A good friend turned 40 recently, and his darling wife decided to throw a fabulous 80s party in his honor. It was the first theme party that I've been to where EVERYONE dressed up and took it seriously. And, as a result, this was one of the most fun nights I've had in years!

As you can see, we're a shy bunch. {smirk}

Since my photography business has been growing, I've had the opportunity to try a bunch of fun things...and I basically used Greg's party as an excuse to try one more: THE PHOTOBOOTH.

When I showed up at Greg and Kelle's house on Saturday afternoon to set up, I think they were totally blown away. They should know better than to underestimate my desire to take things to the next level. : ) I rented the most hideous 80s backdrop at my fav photo supplier...as I was walking out I heard one of the guys behind the counter tell another guy that he owed him 10 bucks because he said it would never be rented.

During the party, people would stop by for awkward prom pictures, group shots, etc. And then I played paparazzi the rest of the night...when I wasn't too busy dancing...or drinking "Gnarly Sex on the Beach".

In order to fully kick the night off, Clare and I had our photo taken in a typical 80s pose!
Here's the birthday boy and his darling wife. She told me that he thanked her that morning for his party and she said to him, "don't you mean MY party." : )
See, I told you people took it seriously! The guy with the mohawk went to three places to try and get it done and then ultimately went home to figure it out himself. VERY respectable!!!
Don't forget the 80s dance moves!
My hilarious friends Chris and Lori. I was pissed that Lori's crimps turned out better than mine. I spent THIRTY MINUTES making my fro!
Oh, I'm sorry, did somebody say track suit and a gold tooth?!
On the left is Kelle's group of friends that she's had since 7th grade. Gotta love it. Tracy, on the right, is wearing her "coed" dance dress, not prom, as she corrected me, and she has triplets. I hate her for that...but love her for bringing wine coolers.
SEVERAL of the boys pegged their pants and wore vans!
NO TOUCHING!
It's really a shame that I didn't have more fun...oooh look, you can see my TOTALLY AWESOME eyeshadow!


11 comments:

Jess said...

First off, be not discouraged. Blond crimps ALWAYS turn out better than brunette crimps. It's like the law of the land or something crazy like that.

Second, I am OBSESSED with the fact that you wore the spandex shiny-ish peach/nude colored tights.

You are my hero.

Julie {Angry Julie Monday} said...

ZOMG, JJ, hilarious...btw, you're looking quite RAD in that outfit. Those pictures are great.

Ashley Perez said...

This is like totally like hawt.

Chicky said...

Like omigawd, I'm like buggin' fer shure. You look like totally bitchin' and I'm like totally jelly...totally

Anonymous said...

That looks like a blast! I think the pics were so awesome and it looks like a wonderful party!! Everyone got right into it so cool!

foxy said...

That looks like the FUNNEST PARTY EVER. I'm so jealous.

Lindsay @ Makely said...

hahaha this is awesome!

Lisa Nelsen-Woods said...

Like OMG, that background is soooo bitchen'.

The Devo guy is my idol.

MRP said...

Bwahahaha! That must have been THE best party - ever! Looks like super fun... great idea for a theme party!

Kelly @ turned UP to ELEVEN! said...

this looks like the BEST. PARTY. EVER!!! My boyfriend has never been one for theme parties (my ex was huge into it). I adore theme parties and you all took this to the best level possible! I love when everyone plays along!!!

Lindsey Michelle said...

Awesome! I totally want to have an 80s party. I attended an 80s Prom fund raiser a few years ago and it was radical to say the least. And can I mention I was in the running for best 80s dancer and my hubby was 1st runner up for Prom King. :-)

{ Lindsey }
greatfullday.blogspot.com