Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Let It Be: The Story of How My Friend Lost Her Daughter, Created a Foundation, and Wrote a Book to Inspire Others

My darling friend Ruthe just released a book...I bought it yesterday morning at our Rotary meeting and had it finished before I went to bed. I absolutely COULD NOT put it down.

I met Ruthe through Rotary about two years ago and we became fast friends. She's a total kick and I just love hanging out with her! We have so much in common - well, important things like God and wine. Ha! We clicked so quickly that we became friends before I even knew her story...

In February 2006, Ruthe's only daughter passed away from a fast and devestating form of cancer. Within months, Ruthe and her husband Michael established the Let It Be Foundation, which helps families with terminally ill children. The work they do is UNBELIEVABLE and I always knew that, but after reading this book, I now truly understand her motivation.

I never had the pleasure of meeting Karla, Ruthe's daughter. However, after reading this beautiful story, I feel like I got to know her just a little. Ruthe opens her heart in an amazing way in this book and I feel inept to fully describe how amazing it is to you. Not only does she tell you her story, but she also shares excerpts from Karla's diaries, which are just precious.

I want you to buy this book...not just because Ruthe is a friend of mine, but because it's an incredible story of a mother's love and the special relationship she and her daughter had that last year. The Let It Be book will move you to tears, inspire you to move through the very difficult circumstances in your own life with grace, and teach you to treasure your loved ones every day.

Click HERE to read an excerpt from the book or HERE to buy it right away. And when you get the book, have a box of tissues nearby, as well as your family...you'll want to love on them quite a bit once you get through the first few chapters.

Karla always said to "let it be" when things got stressful...it became even more special to her when she learned that it was one of the definitions for "Amen." At her funeral, thousands of blue balloons were released that said Amen and I can think of no better tribute.

Ruthe, I just love ya to pieces and I'm so proud of you for writing your story and all that you do with the Foundation. Thank you SO MUCH for sharing a little bit of Karla with the world and for turning your grief into a beautiful inspiration.


1 comment:

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

It sounds like an emotional book, I cannot image going through that with my own daughters. Thanks for letting us know about the book, sounds like it is very inspiring and will help a lot of moms.