Monday, May 11, 2009

Kitchen Confidential: Seal the Deal Tacquitos

Update: I'm sharing this with the gals over at Kelly's Korner. This is my "go to" dinner when I want to WOW my friends and family! It's easy and tasty, and YOU should try it!!!

Today I'm going to let you in on a little secret...I have a "seal the deal" meal. (ARGGGG, THE RHYMING, MAKE IT STOP!) If you're asking "whachoo talkin bout, willis", have no fear, I'll explain.

Occasionally, single girls will invite single guys over for a meal and when they do, it's not uncommon for us to make our BEST meal. We clean our house like crazy, put on good music, light some candles, and make a meal that is guaranteed to make our man's belly fall in love with us...if not his heart. ; ) That's what I mean by "seal the deal"...and my tacquitos do it every time!!!

Now, this meal isn't just for luvahs, but friends, too! Clare and Matt's baby is due pretty soon, and our friend Jennifer arranged a dinner delivery schedule for them. The tacquitos are a perfect meal because they're yummy and FREEZE super well!

ENOUGH OF MY BLAH BLAH BLAH'n, let's get cookin!

Yes, even though this meal was for someone else, I started off with a glass of Ponte Family Estates Chardonnay. It's a Temecula Valley wine and I'm a member there. I love it so sue me if I had a glass while I was cooking for someone else! ; )

The REST of the ingredients: corn tortillas, canola oil, mexican blend shredded cheese, canned chicken in water, and shredded roast beef. YEP, THAT'S IT! Don't judge the canned meats until you've tried 'em! Incidentally, Libby's Roast Beef in a can is the best, just scoop out the gravy.

Start by pouring canola oil into a large skillet, I like to keep the heat at about a 6 out of 10.

When the oil heats up, it's time to start soft-frying your tortillas. I dip mine into the hot oil for a couple of seconds. When the tortilla starts to bubble, I flip it over for a few seconds. Now, the point here isn't to make crispy shells, but just get them to the point where when they're rolled, they'll hold their form. So keep in mind that you still want them bendy and flexible!

Oh hey, like my new apron? It matches my sassy dish gloves! And how random that it practically matches my dress! (PS - for those of you who want to know, I got the adorable apron at Pier 1...SERIOUSLY!)

And now, back to our regularly scheduled program.

As you're pulling the tortillas out of the frying pan, lay them out on paper towels and stagger them. Then start to layer them. Once they're not so freaking hot that they scald your hands (ahem, lesson learned here), try to blot out the grease and have the towels absorb as much of the oil as possible.

Now that you're done with the frying pan, it's time to start assembling your tacquitos! Take a scoop of the beef and a scoop of the cheese and place them at the top of one of the tortillas, then roll them downward. Then place them in a greased pan.

Once you're done with the beef, do the same with the chicken!

Again, the GREAT thing about these tacquitos is they can be freezed before they're baked! But, if you want to have them go strait into the oven, sprinkle a little cheese on top, then bake them at 350 for about 25 minutes, or until they're a little crunchy to the touch.

So, ya, even though I made these for Clare and Matt, I ate a couple...for YOU! How could I not display these beauties in their finished form??? I like to eat them with the lamest salsa ever...PACE Picante Sauce. Oh ya, I'm ghetto like that. But whatever salsa you use, I recommend that you scoop it into the tip of the tacquito and take a big bite.

BUT WARNING...after eating these, you MAY fall in love with me. If you can handle it, then I guess I can, too!

Enjoy!



19 comments:

CarleeKajsa said...

i've had them. they are awesome. and i may or may not have made out with you...i dont recall...but i should have...even though we are cousins and that may or may not be legal...its fine.

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Ok, you have a witness from the commenter above that these are awesome, and I believe it. I need a few seal the deal meals, even though I have sealed the deal for good...it still comes in handy. And, where did you get that adorable apron? I want one!! It's so cute...that I wont even be mad that you're very first in my Tasty Tuesday line up and never once mentioned it. :) But it's ok, because you're always hilarious and I love you anyhow.;)

Anonymous said...

These look delicious and I love that they can be frozen. I need to try them.

Oh, and that apron is just fabulous!

Lindsay @ Makely said...

Yum to the E. Those look delightful. I'm thinking in the Fall, Tom can make the 'ritas, you can make the 'quitos, and I can supervise. Sound good? :)

Julie {Angry Julie Monday} said...

Yum....hey Lindsay...I think JJ can make these when you come to Cali..how bout that...

Heather said...

I seriously don't think it's healthy for me to crave those taquitos at 2am. It's not healthy, I say!! YUM!

Melissa said...

The recipe looks great. Thanks for the smiles, too!

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

These look delish! :D We love taquitos. :D

B said...

Those look simply delishious, I'm just going to have to try those out. I've already "sealed the deal" but it doesn't help to make a good meal anyhow does it? ;)

Jerralea said...

We love tacquitos but I never thought of making them myself! Thanks for sharing!

And where can I get a cute apron like that?

Kristen said...

These look awesome! Thanks for sharing such a great recipe :)

annies home said...

I have never made these nor thought about it but you have such a great post I think I will try

MaRiN said...

sounds delicious and easy!

Anonymous said...

My youngest love his Tacquitos. I bet he'd really love these!

mub said...

Yum yum yum! I need to make these ASAP!

Nicole Feliciano said...

Love the apron and the wine--nice touches. If you want to, I am posting a recipe link over at Momtrends. Just add your favorite recipe here:

http://momtrends.blogspot.com/2009/05/friday-feasts.html

Kathryn said...

I am going to have to make these tonight! I have all the things you need and my husband would really enjoy them!!

Heather said...

this looks so good!! I can't wait to try it and eat it!! Thanks!

Ashlee@WorkmanWitticisms said...

My husband loves Taquitos!!! I will definitly have to try this! Thanks for sharing. I signed up as a follower and I would love it if you did the same!