Thursday, May 07, 2009

5 Reasons Why I'm Hooked on Golf!

As some of you know, I'm NOT an athlete. Sure, I grew up dancing and now enjoy waterskiing and snowboarding, but sports just do not come easily for me.

When I began my job two years ago, Boss Lady and another VP asked if I could golf. I mentioned that I had golf clubs, but really never took to it...they told me to take lessons. I'm so glad I did!

Today I spent roughly 6 hours on the golf course with colleagues, customers, vendors, and other community members to support an organization who keeps inner-city kids out of trouble, educates parents, and focuses on helping area families. It was a beautiful day and I thought I'd share why I'm so hooked!


5 Reasons Why I'm Hooked on Golf

1. You get to spend a whole day outside!  Today was beautiful, in the 90s, but with a subtle breeze.  I have a funny tan, but my hideously white legs got a boost of Vitamin D!

2. You get to have a whole new sassy wardrobe!  I'm TOTALLY the girl on the golf course all in pink!  My motto is pink makes me better.  It's become such a thing that coworkers always check to see what I have on.  I'm a huge fan of Nike gear because they have the moisture wicking fabrics...and here in So Cal, we need that!

3. You get to drink beer all day long.  Nuff said.

4. You get to be social, meet new people, do business, and be a part of the community! There's something to be said for doing business outside of the office.  When you can be less formal, and establish a "razzing"-type of a relationship, you connect in a deeper way and it makes doing business easier.

5. You can check out for half a day.  Yes, people take their cell phones and blackberries onto the golf course, but work and life CAN'T be your main focus when you're concentrating on a shot.  It's like a mini-vacation from the things that keep you preoccupied!  The everyday distractions CAN reach you here, but most of the time, people don't allow them, too, which I think is just great!

It's been such a fun adventure for me, this learning to golf business, and I highly recommend it!  I'm hooked on golf and I'm sharing my love for it over at Hooked on Houses.  Stop by there for a blog carnival today and see what everyone else is hooked on, too!


3 comments:

Julie {Angry Julie Monday} said...

you are too funny..

my friend wants me to take up tennis, cause she knows I will have all the cute outfits..

I took golf in college. I was horrible at it. The instructor told me to NEVER EVER step foot on a golf course ever again.

Lindsay @ Makely said...

Didn't you have a golf coach in DC? How did I find the guy I took lessons from - did he work with you? I so can't remember.

I haven't played in years. Actually, about a year ago I went to the driving range to release some stress. It worked, but man, I was so sore the next day. How are you feeling today?

Good for you for getting out and playing! If I could have your job, I'd go back to work. :)

Fifi Flowers said...

Those are some FAB reasons... I love the peaceful and BEAUTIFUL surroundings even while swearing!
I used to play 3 and 4 times a week before I got injured at IKEA... and began blogging... my goal today was to get back to 2 times a week... UNFORTUNATELY... I broke my baby toe in the parking lot and had to go home... so here I sit with ice on toes reading why you are hooked on golf... le sigh!
Ohhhh.... well... I guess I will have to delay my return.
ENJOY golfing!
Fifi