Thursday, May 14, 2009

I'm Hooked on Swedish Design! Ja Sverige!

I'm a proud Swede, or Svenska Flika, if you prefer. Therefore, when I started seeing blog postings about Swedish design, I was like, DUH! (that probably sounded more Valley than Swede)

Anyhooooo, I'm totally hooked, aren't you?! Let me tell you first off that I haven't always been a fan. When I was in junior high, my Swedish cousins moved out here because at the time, the parents worked for Eriksson (remember those old school cell phones?!) and ALL their furniture seemed like it was out of the future. The kids had the WEIRDEST hammock like chairs in their rooms and EVERY room had a been bag chair for some reason. It was bizarro to say the least. Sorry Henrick and Marcus if you're reading this...but at the time, IKEA hadn't been introduced to us Americans.

But NOW Swedish design means more than weird furniture, it means beautiful white washed woods, pale colors, and fluffy furniture. And the artwork, don't even get me started. As Rachel Zoe would say, DIE!

The whitewashed walls, gauze roman shades, and painted wood hutch is dreamy. I love this House Beautiful layout!!! It's SO bright and happy (via Cote de Texas)
I swiped this GORGEOUS piece off of Laurel Street because I just couldn't help myself. It's the perfect amount of distressing and classic style. (via Julia Foster)
I love the two-toned wood on this dresser that was found in Martha Stewart Living (via Wee Wonderfuls). It just says country sophisticate to me!
This layout from Skona Hem Magazine (via JuBella) has gorgeous traditional style mixed with bright and light colors...HEAVEN! And lastly, if we're talking about Swedish design, we CANNOT forget the Ice Hotel...can't wait to go there with the family someday...it's seriously a topic at almost every family gathering!!!
See, I'm hooked...on Swedish design...and my PEOPLE! To see what everyone else is hooked on this week, visit Hooked on Houses for a fabulous blog carnival!!!


8 comments:

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

I love Swedish design, too. Got a kick out of the Swedish cousin stories. I bet their stuff did look like it was from the future! How funny.

Great post! Hope you have a wonderful weekend. :-)

Sara @ thecincylife said...

Jätte kul! I love Sweden and Swedish design ever since living there a few years ago.

Unknown said...

Love the two toned wood dresser!

AnNicole@Our Suburban Cottage said...

I love Swedish design too. I actually almost wrote a post about it this week. I love the whole whitewashed, nature inspired look. The 9 months of winter..not so much :-).

Fifi Flowers said...

You've gathered some lovely items!
The weather today is beautiful... are you heading to the golf course?
ENJOY!
Fifi

Puna said...

I see Swedish design all over now. It's really beginning to grow on me. Unfortunately, I have all this heavy European furniture.

Daly Essentials said...

I love swedish design too! white washed walls are my fave!

Suz Broughton said...

I love it too. I think people just think of IKEA but you put together a good post here of what it is that's special about it.