Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Dirty Dancing

I was in junior high when Dirty Dancing came out. As a dancer, who began at the age of 2 and never really stopped, I knew I HAD to see this movie. But, my conservative mother said she had to watch it first before I was allowed to see it. Then she CRUSHED me and wouldn't let me go see the PG-13 film. There was inappropriate content for 12 year old eyes, you see.

Well, I didn't see. I was so angry. So angry, that I did what any other rebelious older child would do. I befriended a latch key kid and saw it at her house the moment it came out on VHS! (Incidentally, that's how I first saw Pretty Woman - ha!).

Being the good Christian girl that I was, it wasn't long before I confessed my sin to my mother and was punished. To this day, I can't go very long without ratting myself out...I'd make a terrible spy!

The funny thing about me seeing Dirty Dancing at twelve years old was that I didn't understand at least half of the suggestive content. I knew it was romantic, but I just LOVED the dancing. So, in honor of Patrick Swayze's passing, and his inspiration as a dancer, I'm including the link for the world's MOST romantic dance number ever! RIP Johnny Castle.



10 comments:

Vintage Junky said...

Great post. My mom let me watch it... I think I was in 3rd grade. My grandmother had a fit!! But, I didn't understand anything and giggled when they showed his butt! I remember knowing every word to this movie and having the soundtrack. I haven't watched it in years, but I think I will soon.

SMiles!
Michelle

Tira J said...

Love that movie. And I think it is my Mom's favorite. When it came out on DVD she told me that she HAD to have it. I miss him!

Jane @ Finding Fabulous said...

So sad about Patrick's passing. I'll never forget watching that movie with my best girlfriends in high school! He was one of a kind!

CarleeKajsa said...

i hadnt heard he died! so sad! and PS my mom took me to see pretty woman in the theaters! haha!

Kara@ Creations by Kara said...

My mom didn't want me to watch it either. My best friend and I got a copy of it and watched it a dozen times. My mom still doesn't know. ;)

Suz Broughton said...

You know what's so funny, I was the same way, I always ended up telling on myself. Always.
I'm a bit older than you but Grease was like that for me. My mom wouldn't let me see it and then when I did I didn't 'get' half the sex stuff. I just liked the music and the romance.

Suz Broughton said...

Oh, and RIP Patrick Swazye

Inspired Comblogulations said...

I love the name of your blog and actually considered naming mine that... then I saw yours and you beat me to it...I always said talk is cheap.
I am new to blogging and thought I would join along... I will put you on my blog list.

I was to old to ask my mom about this flick.

Lee @ Inspired Comblogulations

Mrs. Querido said...

My favorite is Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights...love the latin rhythms!

Anonymous said...

Might I have been that said friend???
Leann