Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Mammoth!

This weekend, I traveled up to Mammoth with the singles group from my church. We had about 80 people come and it was an absolutely awesome weekend! I got some good runs in on Saturday morning with my cousin Elizabeth. We are all beginners, but I had a little bit of a head start because the weekend before my friend Rebekah and I went to a two-day all women's snowboarding clinic in Big Bear. It was awesome and we really learned the techniques needed to board. On Saturday afternoon, Rebekah and I jumped on some intermediate runs and were holding our own. And on Sunday, a huge group of us met up with the intention of going together until people's skill levels started to phase off, but I stayed with the stronger boarders and even did 2 BLACK DIAMONDS! It was unbelievable and amazing. I think the trick is just committing to doing turns and going downhill and letting your body react rather than letting your mind freak you out! We had a big Super Bowl party and I made queso (or as I like to call it, the only thing I learned in college) and other assorted treats, which is funny, because I watched like 10 minutes of the game before hitting the lodge with Rebekah and grabbing a beer! : ) Later, we all hit the hot tub and then cleaned and packed up before hitting the road early on Monday morning.

This is is my cousin Elizabeth, me, and another friend.
This is Katie Birkenstein and me on the black diamond. It doesn't look too steep here, but we were literally sliding down the hill at this point and had to take the picture really fast. Ha! (Katie is one of Missie's childhood friends that has been coming to Fuel since the summer.)
Some of my crazy friends doing "snow angels" in their swim suits after some spa time.


No comments: